Someone donated the money for a bunch of Marriages

January 19, 2015
Oi, tudo bem?? Today my keyboard is one of those keyboards some of the computers have in Brazil that was created in the 50s I think.. but I think I’ll manage haha.  Sounds like the basketball game was exciting. I miss playing high school basketball. Today we played basketball with the Bishop, our ward mission leader, one of the young men preparing for a mission and us 4 missionaries. It was fun. Our bishop called President Bonini to ask permission, and he accepted haha. So now we can play basketball... here in Brazil everyone drinks Coke like water, so after we got done playing our Bishop went to the store on his motorcycle to buy a Coke for everyone haha, and he said next week we’re going to have a BBQ after we play haha. 

The life of the missionaries in PA seems so different. I don’t think our President would let us go bowling even if we brought 50 investigators haha. Every mission is a little different. So this week we decided that we needed to find tons of new investigators because most of our current ones weren’t going to church... so we’re trying to meet people that have more sense of commitment and a desire to learn about the gospel. so we ended up talking to basically everyone in the road. When we don’t have appointments, we talk to everyone who walks past us on the sidewalk. We hope that we´ll be able to meet "The Lord’s Elect"... but I think this week the Lord wanted to test our faith because none of them were too elect... some of them seemed like they were and said they would be baptized, but no one was willing to go to church. However, this week we are going to mark the marriage of one family that we are teaching and in about 3 weeks or so they will be baptized... here in Brazil it seems like almost no one gets married... so we’re always talking to people about the importance of marriage and one of the members here in Fortaleza decided he wanted to help the mission, so he’s buying like 30 marriages (its usually expensive to get married and families can’t afford it) for the mission, so this couple we are teaching is going to be able to get married for free! So we’re pretty excited about that. 

So this didn’t happen this week, but it was a good example of how God answers our prayers, so I thought I’d write about it. The other week I was feeling frustrated that so many people didn’t seem to want to accept any of our invitations to change their lives to be better with the gospel. It seemed that everything we taught, no one wanted to accept, and I felt like I needed divine help. I was feeling pretty down that day. That afternoon while my companion was in the bathroom, I said a prayer that God would give me counsel through the Book of Mormon that I had in my hand. So I told Him that I would open it and read where He guided me. So I flipped the pages and opened to 2 Nephi chapter 3 and my eyes went directly to verse 21 which was exactly what was on my mind... about how my words weren’t having enough power. I know that was a direct answer to the prayer I said a few seconds before, and I know He responded. 

So next week I’ll try to send more pictures. I don’t have much time today. It’s pretty hard to type on this keyboard, but have a good week. Love you guys. Thanks for the love and support. Beijo. :)


-Élder Udy

No comments:

Post a Comment