I learned the importance of following the promptings of the Spirit

May 18, 2015

        Nothin like some pictures from good ol´Slippery Rock. Looks exciting to have some new neighbors.
        This week in church in the Elders Quorum we read a story about some guy.. I don’t’ remember who it was, that handed out .. I think it was 40 Books of Mormon to people on his street, and then he continued and started handing out more to other people. He said the result was amazing that because of all the books he handed out 7 people were baptized soon after, and more time down the road some people that had set the book aside initially, had picked it up again to read and felt the Spirit that comes from reading it and were baptized and later thanked this faithful member. I thought it was interesting how simple it can be to make such a big difference in the lives of others.
        Today Elder Moroni and I were sitting in the Super Market eating lunch thinking about all the people that were around us, and what will be the destination of their souls in 2000 or so years. No one really knows until judgment. But while I thought about the salvation of these people, I felt the desire increase inside of me to share with the people what we have, and what we know. I believe that the process must be the same for members as well. When we think about those around us in an eternal perspective, we have more desire to share the restored gospel with them, especially our closest friends.  We help our friends with worldly cares and desires and want to make their lives more joyful, so why would we not help them with their eternal salvation and make their eternity more joyful?
        This week we decided that we would increase our number of contacts each day and we started talking to everybody, and we found some great new investigators. We found a 19 year old girl who has a 2-year old daughter. We taught her for the first time Tuesday, and when we returned on Thursday we marked her baptism for the 30th and she said "I’ve already had some people asking me if I’m going to be Mormon. I told them that I am going to go to church and if all goes well, I’ll continue going always." And soon after she accepted the baptismal date for the 30th. So we told her that she will be prepared for baptism by reading the Book of Mormon every day and praying everyday and going to church every Sunday, and receiving our visits.
        So after church yesterday we went to visit her and we talked about how she felt at church. She said that she felt so good and happy while she was there. She said she tried hard to listen and to understand everything. So after she said how she had received a testimony that the church is true, we read Luke 5:1-11 with here about how the apostles left their old lives to follow Jesus after they had received testimonies. We then invited her to be baptized this week promising her that using her faith she could be prepared by Sunday. And she accepted!  
        It really feels good to help someone exercise their faith to follow Jesus Christ and see how when they keep little commitments like reading the Book of Mormon every night and saying heartfelt prayers and going to church, they really do start to feel the power of the Holy Ghost, that gives them a testimony of the truth. 
        This week I learned about the importance of following the promptings we feel from the Spirit as we ask God in prayer for advice and answers. About 5 or 6 weeks ago when we started to teach one of our investigators, I remember one night I was praying asking what we could do to help her feel ready to be baptized in the next week. I remember that I felt an impression to give her a Liahona (Ensign magazine) that has a bunch of pictures of the temple and talks about temples, and teach her about temple marriage (she’s 21). However, for some reason, probably because it was something kind of different to talk about in the second visit, I ended up not following the prompting. Only this week did I find out that a few days before we visited her, maybe 1 week, she was having difficulty with a particular commandment, and when she went to church for the first time the first talk was a high priest that gave a great talk on keeping that particular commandment. She said that she felt touched during that talk. However, we didn’t even know that she was having a problem with that commandment. However, God knew, and he told me, I just didn’t listen until after. However, I believe if I had done what the Spirit told me to do that week, she would have been touched even more. It would have been proof to her that we represent Jesus and that the Spirit tells us what we need to say. I believe that if we had taught her the about that particular commandment and temple marriage in the first week, when the Spirit told me to, she would have been baptized already. I learned a strong lesson on the importance of trusting in God and in his Spirit. Even when we don’t want do something out of the ordinary, whatever the Spirit tells us to do, is the will of God and it should be done. 
        So this week was pretty eventful, I don’t really have much more time to write, but sounds like you guys had a good week too. Today for P-day we are going to go to the shirt store to make our zone shirts and maybe next week we´ll be able to get the hot water working in our house :)  Hope you have a good week! Love you guys.
Até mais!!

Élder Udy







No comments:

Post a Comment